So... we have been discussing a big girl bed and Sophie has been somewhat receptive to it. I ordered a beautiful bed that I can't wait to come in:

In the meantime, I kept thinking that it would be too big for her to get in and out of and thought a toddler bed would be a good short term solution. So, on Craigslist this week, I found this adorable Little Tikes Cottage toddler bed at a great price and thought we would give it a try.
She was excited at first and had a great time playing on it, look at this little poser!
Then came time for jammies and bedtime... still a few smiles and she was all excited gathering up all her blankets and toys...
Then, I said it was time for ni ni and this is what I got...
So... back to mommy's bed we go... sigh
Anybody else dealing with this and how do you get them to sleep in their own beds again? I never had this with my older two kids who slept in their own cribs and beds always. I know I made a mistake by letting her sleep with me to begin with, but it was just easier at the time as a sleep deprived mommy is not a happy mommy and those middle of the night wake up episodes had me looking like a zombie the next morning for work.
As much as I am not quite ready to put away that baby crib for the last time, it is time for my little bug to sleep on her own in her own room. Is it time to call in Nanny 911? I won't even mention the whining and crying and tears, oh my...
Calgon, take me away!!!


12 comments:
Aww...Im sorry little Sophie is going through this. It's only a short time..just another stage. I did have to chuckle as I scrolled down the page and saw that sad face. I felt sorry for her when I saw it. :(
Keep up the good work Mom.. in no time flat "This Too Shall Pass"
Love and Hugs..
Oh my.... We are very lucky in that Gabriella always slept in her crib. So, I just don't have any advice. But, I do hope you find a solution fast!!
My little princess has, however, decided this week to go from two naps for a total of 3-4 hrs a day to one nap of just an hr. Can you say CRANKY??? Her and me!! I am at my wits end. I've tried all kinds of different times to get her to take a decent nap and it's just not happening.
Your little Bug is too precious!!
We had the same problem with my cousin. She is 7 years old now, and until she was 4, she was never able to put herself to sleep. It started with her having a bottle and then being rocked to sleep as an infant. Then when she moved to a big girl bed, somebody HAD to lay with her until she fell asleep, or she had to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's bed, and when she was moved in the middle of a deep sleep, she woke right up and the whole process started over again.
We had to use the Ferber method, and so do you! As difficult as it was to hear her cry the first night, that was the only night that we had to hear that heartbreaking sound. After night 1, she went to sleep on her own and slept in her own bed like a champ all night long. (it doesn't work that quickly with everyone, but you may get lucky like us!)
Start out with a routine (bath, jammies, brush teeth, one or two books) and then say "Ok, now it is time for Sophie to go to sleep in her big girl bed!" (make it sound like fun!) Then you put her under the covers, kiss her, tell her you love her and say goodnight! She will scream and cry, but you have to be strong and resist the temptation to go back in the room. You will probably cry too. (My aunt did, I did, and our grandma did...it's ok!) Wait five minutes, go back to her room, open the door (or not...depends on if she will run to you and want you to hold her) but DO NOT touch her or pick her up. Simply say "It's time to go night night. Mommy loves you!" and close the door. She will continue screaming. It is ok, as long as she can't hurt herself or trip over anything on the floor of her room. Add five minutes to the time and go back to her room (this time, giving her ten minutes alone). Open the door (or not) and say "It's time to go night night. Mommy loves you" and close the door. Add five minutes in between going to her room every time. It may take all night, or she may fall asleep from exhaustion farely quickly, but she WILL fall asleep. (After three hours (seemed like 10) of crying, Rebecca fell asleep on the floor right by her door, where she slept all night.) DO NOT MOVE HER IF THIS HAPPENS. She'll get the hang of her bed eventually. The next night she got right in the bed and fell asleep. I promise this works.
You may want to try this on a Friday or Saturday night when you don't have to get up early the next morning, in case you are up late ;)
Keep us posted!!!!
Good luck! You can do it!
Alex is still doing fine in his crib - but if you read my blog this week, you will see that we are dealing with sleep issues also. (so - who knows if I have good advice!!!)
Can you move her toddler bed into your room? Or can you sleep on the floor of her room for a couple of nights. You may have to "wean" her off of mom.
Or - use the crying method. We've been doing it with Alex this week, and as hard as it is to not go up and get him - he is staying in his crib and sleeping. :)
Good luck - sleep issues are just SO hard!!!!
Ruby sleeps with me. I asked her pediatrician about transitioning her to a crib and she just laughed and said not to waste my time - it wasn't going to happen. Point being - I have no suggestions but I'll keep reading the comments here in hopes of finding something that works for us too.
Kerri and Ruby
oh gosh, we went through this with our son. Who is going to be 10 Sunday and still isn't a good sleep. We finally put his toddler bed up and I literally slept in the floor beside it for about a week, week and a half, then then started moving my bed on the floor closer to the door each day. And eventually was out of the room. Now he does still get up every once in awhile, to make sure I am "still there" Which at 10 is very sweet. I do agree with maybe putting her bed in your room. Maybe that may help too! Good luck,
Lisa & Sophia
No advice for you here. :) Just wanted to say how darn cute that SophieBug is!
d;)
Oh Dear,
We went through this. When I asked our son's Doc. he told me to let him cry, it won't hurt him. Then one of my friends gave me the book explained by someone else. Carson cried the first few nights, it killed us. BUT now it is so nice. He goes to bed awake and can put himself to sleep and sleeps good every night. Well worth the couple nights of heart break, for years of good nights sleep. =)
Sophia looks simply scrumptious in her new "big" little bed! Hopefully you can slowly wean her into it at NIGHT!!! Good Luck!! Keep us posted!
let me tell you. I know exactly how you feel. My Talia is 5 years old and she still is in the bed with me. It is hard getting them to sleep in their own room and own bed. You want them to sleep in them out of your bed but when they are out of it you kind of miss them. My Talia is a wild sleeper and I get "no" sleep. I wake up with a foot in my throat half the time. When you figure out how to get Sophie bug in her bed let me know so I can try it.
Sarah, I had to laugh when I read this post because it sounds very similar to what's going on at our house. Gabriella loves her Dora toddler bed until its time to go to bed. So, she ends up back in the bed with us (plus our two dogs). She is a horrible bed fellow, too, and is constantly kicking me and pushing me off the edge of the bed. To make matters worse, she insists on taking about 10 stuffed animals to bed with her. The bed has become a zoo!! I definitely think I need to make a call to Supernanny. :) Maybe we could get a 2 for 1 deal and she could visit both of us at the same time.
Robyn
We handled it by buying a toddler bed - along with a roll-up pad to lay down beside her until she gets to sleep. One sad thing though - she prefers Daddy to lay down beside her, and I miss rocking her more than I can say. So as tired as you are, relish the closeness while it lasts! Ella will sometimes still let me dance her to sleep - but rocking is out of the question. I have a question for everyone... How do we get rid of the passy???
Post a Comment