Sunday, September 23, 2007

In search of the perfect photo...

How is it that so many of you get absolutely perfect photos of your children? Out of about 30 poses, here is what I usually end up with:

The Back Shot, when only seconds before the camera finally clicked, she was looking right at you?


Top of the head...


Oops, another back shot (darn it)


Flappin' the arms to fly away


Cheesing it up inches away from the lens


Only looking up for a millisecond, then eyes down


Distracted...


Top of the head again


And again, even though the flowers smelled great


A little too dark


Still wrong lighting


Pretty girl, but not the perfect shot


An unexpected cute pose


And another one that just happened to turn out cute


I felt like I had run a marathon to get her to look up at the camera for a nanosecond and I am sure the neighbors are quite entertained watching me do all those antics to get her to look at mommy. So, all you picture experts, what is your secret? I would love tips on how to get better pictures out of my Canon Rebel. Thinking I might need a better lens than the one it came with?

The subject needs a little incentive too... what do you do to get those perfect pictures?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently read a useful tip on Angel's blog: have a goal of one good shot per photo shoot. I dump the duds before downloading. Also, it's much easier to have a good shoot with somebody else around to do the silly dances and faces near the camera so they will look over toward you.

I might add that your daughter is so rockin' beautiful that she doesn't actually have a bad angle or take a bad shot. Seriously, she is soooo cute!

Becky said...

I have no advice, but I can so relate. 90% of my photos are duds as well. Thank goodness we have such adorable subjects to photograph!

veggiemom said...

I think the key is to take lots of pictures so that you can get 1 or 2 good ones and throw away all the rest. There are several in there that are really cute. I love the one of her smelling the flower.

Kerri and Ruby

Anonymous said...

I think they are all keepers. I like the natural ones. She is a cutie no matter what!

Lisa and Madeline said...

She is just a doll! I had a dress like that for Madeline last year and she will no longer wear it (it still fits). I love the smocked dresses on little girls. Adorable pics! Shes quite a busy little girl..

Our Family of 5 said...

Could she be any darn sweeter? I too know the trouble that goes in to getting one good picture out of 100!

Dena said...

She is smockalicious! At least she'll look at the camera - all my good ones are of the side of Annie's face - she usually says "no yook at me mommy"

Too too cute!

Alleen said...

Well, I'm surely not one of those that gets the great shots, so I have no advice. I'm really trying to justify to myself to get a good camera like you have so I at least won't have the horrible delay mine does which pretty much guarantees I can't get any good ones.

I think you got some adorable ones!!! The 2nd to last is my favorite.

LouLou said...

She is precious in all these shots....even the ones of the top of her head....You can see her SPUNK in all of these...GORGEOUS!

Kim said...

Sarah - Can you email me? I have a couple of questions for Guatoberfest - kimhartz@hotmail.com

Shannon said...

OK, I am an amateur photog. I have to say that the pictures look pretty good.

You said you have a Canon Rebel. What size lens do you have? A larger zoom lens will allow you to focus on your subject and it will blur out the scenerey behind them. Also, try to remember the rule of thirds. Putting your subject in the center or on the left or right.

You can also buy a digital software program (we use Microsoft Digital Image Suite) to crop your pictures. It will also enhance the lighting in photos that may be too dark or light.

As for the photogging kids...well, you just gotta let them be kids. I have found when shooting portraits of kids that parents inevitably will choose the ones that look "candid".

I will do a couple of things with your pcis and email them to you!!

mommy24treasures said...

I take tons and throw away more than I keep, and yes it is the workout of the day when we have a photoshoot. hubby laughs because I will lay on the grond follow them whatever it takes to get atleast a couple good ones.
A few of these are VERY good by the way, this was successful, I think part of it is we see all the garbage ones and don't feel like it was as successful as others see it.

Lori said...

Haahaa, thank God for digital!! :D

Robyn said...

Too cute!! I know all about trying for the perfect shot. I tried last night with Gabriella and ended up giving up because it just wasn't working. Even if you didn't get a perfect pic, they are still beautiful!!

Robyn

Farrah said...

I must say that all the pics are beautiful to me...Your child is a pure Angel from above...

I would love to sponser a child from Mayan families....

BabyAlways.com said...

Wow... These are great pictures! You did a great job capturing the moments.

Anonymous said...

I think they are precious! No one gets it right in every shot. There are some really good ones there! A friend once told me to never stop and look at the screen, just shoot and shoot and shoot! It has worked great for me. I also like to have an extra set of hands to entertain and engage the little one :)