Tuesday, September 25, 2007

New Pila for Dayli's Family!!

I was so excited to get an e-mail this morning from Sharon at Mayan Families. In the e-mail were pictures of my sponsored child and her family in Guatemala receiving the gifts that I sent money down for! It is amazing how inexpensive some things cost that can make such a huge difference to a family. One of those life changing items is a Pila (or a sink) that can be installed in a family's home and would allow them to wash their clothes and dishes in their home, rather than walking to a nearby water source or lake to do this work. Here is the Pila being unloaded off the truck:



Can you imagine if we were not able to just walk over to our modern washing machine and dryer and throw our clothes in and voila... clean clothes? Or putting our dishes in a dishwasher and coming back to clean dishes? I truly cannot imagine how families get by with as little means as they have. Dayli's family is lucky to have electricity ($11.20 US per month) and running water ($4 US per year) in their home. Look at this beautiful family! Fristy is 5, Dayli is 6 and their mother, Regina (who is expecting a baby in December).



Beautiful girls... Fristy and Dayli


Along with the Pila, I was able to send money down for Dayli to receive a new traditional outfit, called a huipil (pronounced "wee-peel") and corte. These outfits are beautiful and intricate and they can be worn for up to five years. Here is a picture of Dayli receiving her new outfit.



What a beautiful child!


I am so lucky to be traveling to Guatemala in November and meet this beautiful family! I am taking donations down with me for Mayan Families and can't wait to take Dayli shopping for some new shoes to go with her beautiful new outfit. Seeing this beautiful face just makes me feel so incredibly lucky to be able to make a difference in her life. I wish so much that I could do more.

If you would like to see some more wonderful pictures of the work Mayan Families does to help the families who live in Panajachel, please visit here... I promise you that these images will stay with you... Mayan Families Donations Being Received.

Some of the items I am collecting to take with me to Guatemala include hair items, such as brushes, combs, ribbons, barrettes, elastics, etc as well as baby blankets, underwear, socks, toothbrushes and toothpaste. If you are interested in donating anything for Mayan Families and would like to send with me in November, please contact me through the comments section. There are hundreds of children in Panajachel and there are so many items needed. These are just a few of the items that are light enough and easily compacted that I am hoping to take down with me in airline checked luggage.

Wow, how one e-mail can brighten my day!! For those in the adoption world, it reminded me of the thrill I got each time I got a medical update or pictures of Sophie~Bug during the adoption process.

Love and FROG!

Sarah

12 comments:

veggiemom said...

Love it! Obviously I'm a huge supporter of MF. The work they do so amazing! Love the pics of the family receiving their pila.

Kerri and Ruby

Kim said...

How exciting!!! I can't wait to start getting pictures like this of the child we are going to be sponsoring!! Jay I realized that for about $500 we can make a HUGE difference in her life - that's nothing! We probably spend that much money a month going out to eat!!!

YEAH!!!

Becky said...

How exciting! I just contacted Mayan Families a few days ago to start sponsoring a stident as well.

S said...

Our family sponsors two boys in Africa through a different organization and we LOVE getting letters and pictures! It's amazing how thankful they are for even the smallest things we send. It has definitely opened our boys' eyes to such a different way of life.

I work for a major clothing company and can everything at a very low cost. There are a lot of shoes in the pictures - is there anything else they really need? I'd be happy to pick up anything from our company store and send it along for your trip!

Robyn said...

Seeing these pics makes my heart smile!! How wonderful that you are able to make a difference in this family's life!!

Robyn

Donna said...

Sarah, What a great blog. Did you adopt your daughter through CCI? Just wondering. Where are you in KY? We have great friends in Louisville, anywhere close to you. Your little girl is adorable!

Donna
mommy to Evan and Nick

Shannon said...

I'd love to send you a few things to bring with you in Nov. I'll email you and set it up, ok?

Sarah said...

I added a couple items to the list that I left off earlier... underwear and socks are desperately needed.

Sarah, if you have access to ANYTHING, it would be greatly appreciated. You can e-mail me at ssmglewis@aol.com for more information.

Thanks everybody!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

I am also going on a trip to Panajachel Guatemala. I will be going in December. I have been a active with MF since March and we are sponsoring 2 girls for school. I can't wait to meet them.

Lori said...

Sarah, how wonderful and exciting! Yes, the girls are beautiful and how excited for her to have her first outfit....and for you to be able to see a picture of her receiving it!!
I'm sure I can round up a few things to send down.

To answer your question about my camera, I use a Canon PowerShot S3IS, nothing fancy, but I'm very happy with it.

Lori said...

Sarah, tell me what to do to get some things to you, I'd be glad to donate.
You can find my email address in the "view my complete profile" section on my blog!

Faithful Froggers said...

Sarah,
What a wonderful story and those pictures are precious. What a treasure to have those pics of them receiving your gifts. PRICELESS! You must be so excited to meet this wonderful family.

Let us know how we can send some items - I'm sure we could go shopping! :)

Love & FROG,
Heather