Sophie~Bug had her 3 year checkup with the pediatrician today. First off... she is perfect... very healthy, very smart and very petite. The doctor was amazed that she can count to 20 (and 10 in Spanish) and spell her name. She recognizes about 8 letters of the alphabet by sight (pretty much the ones we have in the bathtub) and very soon will be playing Gershwin on the piano (LOL- just kidding).
She weighed in at 25.8 pounds - 5th-10th percentile
She is 34 inches tall - 5th percentile (if she continues to follow her growth curve, she will be between 5 foot and 5 foot 2 inches tall - perfect as mommy is also 5' 2"!)
Last Thursday was her visit to the pediatric cardiologist. Can I start out by saying that I am IN LOVE with her doctor... he has to be the sweetest man on this planet and one of the most gifted surgeons in the region. He sang Happy Birthday to Sophie, let her listen to her own heartbeat through the stethoscope and whispered to her how beautiful he thinks she is while it was still in her ears. She just beamed at him and I was a puddle (he is married folks to one of the most wonderful ladies in town). Oh... I guess I should stop blabbing about Dr. Wonderful and tell you that her PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale) is still there, but the hole is so tiny, that it cannot be seen on the echo cardiogram, but you can see the transference of blood between the chambers on the doppler... he thinks the hole is very tiny and still thinks it should close on its own over time. He would not recommend that she scuba dive or become a Navy Seal, but other than that, she has no restrictions. We were both a bit disappointed that it has not closed up yet, but I am thrilled that he will continue to be Sophie's doctor for a bit longer.
In my eyes, my little Bug is absolutely perfect... her sweet little personality just lights up a room. She is very pensive and quiet when we are out or with somebody new, but can be quite the little firecracker at home or after she warms up. Her language has exploded over the past few months and she graduated from Speech Therapy through First Steps last week. She is a mommy's girl and still wants to be carried and babied... my pleasure (most of the time).
As for the big girl bed... well, that is not going as well as we talked about for those many weeks preceding her birthday. She does well if I transfer her into her rooom while she is asleep, but I am not having any luck if she realizes where she is. So, if anybody has any tips, I would appreciate them. I may have to try the Super Nanny approach... but is it really worth it? I mostly enjoy having that sweet little body curled up next to her pillow on the other side of the bed and still melt when I wake up to see two chocolate brown eyes smiling at me and a little voice chirp "hewo mommy" when she sees that I am awake. Some mornings, she wakes up a little too early and I can pat the bed and she will crawl over the big pillow to cuddle up beside me and go back to sleep. I love how she says her prayers each night in her toddler imperfect pronunciation... and then tells ME "sweet dreams". See... hopeless!!
We also need to work on potty training, but I was pleased that her pediatrician agreed with me to not push her. She is showing all the physical signs of readiness... dry in the morning, predictable schedule, discomfort of being wet or dirty, able to verbalize when she is going in her diaper and able to undress herself. But, she is not emotionally ready yet. She has begun to sit on the little potty without my prompting but has not produced anything in quite a while. She is still eyeing the M&M's on the shelf in the bathroom and I cannot wait for the day until I am able to give them to her for a job well done!
OK... enough gushing... just am still in disbelief that my little Bug can already be three years old... leaving you with a few pics of my little peanut to show how she has grown!
8 days old
5 months old and HOME!

1 year old (16 months)

2 years old



26 comments:
Oh goodness, what a cute little peanut!!!!
Gabriella hasn't done so well with the potty after initial success either. She asks every night to go and as soon as I put her up on it, she freaks out on me. Sigh... So, I'll just keep trying and eventually she'll stay there I hope.
Gosh she is so DANG cute!!!
Okay, so I do have a piece of advice about her sleeping in her own bed...
If it's not bothering you (and it doesn't seem to be), don't let anyone convince you that it should be bothering you. She is only going to be little for a short while and I am sure she will not still be in your bed when she graduates highschool (and if she is, deal with it then).
Just my opinion but since you asked...there you have it!
Have a good week!
Of course she is perfect, beautiful, amazing, and gifted!! :)
I also agree with Jennifer - if you like having her in bed with you - and she likes it - and you are both getting your sleep - who cares? I can't co-sleep with Alex, neither of us get ANY sleep, but it sure sounds like it is working for you guys.
She is a tiny hunk of heaven. Top-of-the-line cute!
Happy Birthday, SB!
Pure T Precious;)
Loved that post - she got blessed with an amazing Momma - that is for sure:)
Love you guys:)
JUlia:)
Oh she is just so sweet. A true beauty that girl of yours. Way to go graduating speech!!!!!! We also have no signs of successful potty training here. Will only sit on potty fully clothed. LOL
Your daughter is so beautiful, I wonder if we have the same cardiologist for our kids?? We love our Dr and he is just so kind and loving with our son and with us.
Hannah
Same group, Dmitry goes to Dr. Boone but when he was in the hospital for his surgery Dr. A would also come to the hospital and check up on us. They are both so wonderful with children. Did you know they put on a camp each year for some of the more serious patients?
I am glad she is in such wonderful hands!!
Hannah
Just ...Precious:)
The most beautiful bug in the world!!!
she is sooooo beautiful...just gets more beautiful every time I see her!
Dori
I just wanna kiss her checks! She is so darn cute!!!
Kerri and Ruby
She really is perfect :)
Wow - she just gets cuter everyday if that's even possible! I had a hole in my heart as a child - i had open heart surgery but am a okay now - I only needed surgery if i wanted kids and hahahah - I am not having any anyway! enough about me - I am thrilled she graduated from speech - her cardio sounds awesome! What a great birthday update!
I'm so glad Sophie~Bug got a good report at her check-up!! Sounds like we are in the same situation with sleep and potty training. But, I'm trying not to stress too much about either because I know Gabriella will eventually sleep in her own bed and use the potty. Until then, I'm going to enjoy snuggling with her at night and enjoy not having to rush to find a bathroom when we're out. :)
Robyn
Oh, Sarah, Sophie just shines with so much happiness! She is just the cutest little bug!
I'm so glad her doctor appts. went well - sounds like a dream doctor! And I wouldn't worry at all about the co-sleeping and potty-training. Every child is different - and as long as everyone's happy - that's all that matters.
Enjoy her birthday week . . .
Give her a big hug from all of us!
Love & FROG . . .
Sarah
Your Daughter is just Beautiful! We are in Louisville too! We see the same group as well! We see Dr Arnesman for one of my boys PFO. I have twins and one has it. He was orginally treating him Congestive heart failure but that has now resolved. On his 2 year old echo he found the PFO. We go for his 3 year old Echo next month. I pray that it has resolved. So far he has had no issues from it. Dr Arnesman is WONDERFUL we adore him. We moved here from Tampa and we had a few Cardiologists down there and DR A is the First MD that has ever done his own Echo's himself! I was so shocked! And he had this huge pen in his office that my boys just adored and got a kick out of. He is just the sweetest man. He really makes you feel at ease.
Shannon
Mom to Jack and Palmer 05/31/2005
SHE IS JUST BEAUTIFUL AND SHE HAS A WONDERFUL SMILE. GREAT WORK SOPHIE, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
She's so cute! Wish I could come and have a play date-I'm a little far though. She's such a blessing and I am thankful to have met you and her through this blog. Blessings.
Seems like only yesterday...I can't believe she is three! How blessed we are by our children!
OMG, She is so tiny!!!
And amazingly beautiful....I couldn't tell her she couldn't sleep with me either, So just let her
My son slept in my floor until he was 5 and then we painted and fixed his room in any theme he wanted"he picked A bugs life" and after that he slept in his bed everyday..It is a process though!
My granddaughter has been potty broke since January....she turned 2 on February 21....my daughter did the bare bottom approach....per the doctor....she was naked from the waist down and in three days she was broke, since January she has had 3 boo boo's which I think is great...she still wets the pull up at night...but hey what can you say....as for the bed thing I would start on a Friday night and eveytime she comes out of the bed just put her back with out saying anything....hopefully by Sunday night you will be ok and get a good night sleep for Monday good luck
Sophie is beautiful and so glad to hear her doctor's appointments went well.
I am in the same boat as you with potty training and sleeping. Both will come so I am not going to rush him.
Thanks!!! They are a lot of fun!! The place is called All About Kids. It is on Blakenbaker right past Sams Club on the right. http://www.allaboutkids.cc/ They have infatables and slide area open every week day for pre schoolers from 10-2 and then from 12-1 they have the bigger gym open with the teachers to help the kids. It is great! They help the kids swing on the ropes and land in the ball pits and they have slides that land in the pits. The boys have a ball. If it were up to my kids we would spend every day there. Open gym is $5. Starting May 25 or 29 I can't remember the day they have a summer membership where you get unlimited visits for $35 for the summer which is a great deal.....which for me is a great deal since it cost me $10 a day to go! We are going to try to go to Kazooing next week. One of the mom's groups I belong to has an outing there. It is supposed to have inflatables like All about Kids.
Have a Great Weekend!
Shannon
Mom to Jack and Palmer 05/31/2005
Sophie sounds a lot like Emmy, I just love this age. We have not been pushing the potty thing here, though she has been using the potty from time to time since she was probably 20 months or so but she is just choosing not to. Well she has till August to get the hang of it before I freak- she needs to be potty trained to go to pre-school. Maybe start with a sticker chart for when she just goes and sits on the potty, not an M&M but its something she can get for taking a step in the right direction. What seemed to work with our bed time routine (where I don’t have to spend hours on the floor till she falls asleep in her own bed) was we re-did her room into a big girls room. Which basically was to re-arrange her furniture to give her tons of play room on the floor. Now she has a nice routine for bed time and the amount of screaming we get is usually a lot less. I have noticed so many changes in Emmy since she turned 3 its amazing that they really are little people with minds of their own.
Loved to hear all the updates about little Sophie. She is a beautiful little girl and I am happy I get to see her in person every so often.
A note to the potty training. I did not push the issue with Madeline and she did not even get really interested until she turned 3. She started going and eventually said one day, mommy, no more pull-ups. Of course the #2 part took longer.
As far as sleeping, Madeline never as slept in the bed with me and was never interested UNTIL 3 weeks ago. Now she's with me every night. I must say having her next to me is comforting, especially for us single mommies, but hopefully its just for a short time. I agree with most, when the time is right for her and you, it will happen.
She is beautiful and smart and perfect! Too bad the doctor is married - he sounds perfect, too!
Peace and Hugs,
Becca
Post a Comment