Have you wondered what I have been up to the past couple weeks? Just posting FFF and a Wordless Wednesday and never really responding to my sweet Tags by my friends?
As you can see by the picture of my boy... he always manages to keep my life interesting and never dull. Grant has to be one of the most accident prone children that you could ever know of. And the drama that surrounds each week is such that I could write a book and you would probably hyperventilate trying to keep up with it all.
Our latest adventure began last Friday night. We were enjoying some fun days of summer with some wonderful friends visiting us from PA. My big kids had spent the day with their dad helping prepare food for the HUGE local orphanage picnic that is held every year. Grant even met his new "girlfriend" there that day, so maybe that is what made him lightheaded and a little off balance. But... after he arrived home, he rode his bike to a friend's house to wait for him to come home and hang out. Apparently, while waiting, he decided to walk along a low retaining wall (about 2-3 feet high) beside their driveway and lost his balance and fell into a shallow ditch. He doesn't remember falling but what he does remember was yelling and waving his arms for help. Luckily, a passing motorist (and guardian angel) saw him and pulled over to help. Grant was unable to move his legs and the gentleman called 911. I received a call on my cell phone from the 911 operator and was able to get to his side in about ten minutes.
To make a long story short... the ambulance took him to the hospital where the trauma team was activated and it was a sea of doctors and equipment that would scare the hair off a cat. They even sent the chaplain in to stand with me during his workup, which was a little unnerving. He went through x-rays, CAT scans and MRI's to determine what injury he had... and luckily, within about 5 hours, he was able to start wiggling his toes and eventually move his legs. Apparently, he either bruised his spinal cord or pinched a nerve near his neck that temporarily caused his legs to "go to sleep". We spent the night in the PICU as a precaution and then moved to a regular room where he was able to walk out of the hospital on Sunday afternoon with just a neck brace for two weeks.
The worst part of this experience was that his dad did not even make it to the hospital to see him. I could write a small novel about how much disappointment this child has had to endure at the hands of the person who is supposed to love him unconditionally. But, that is a novel for another day and a "Get Real" post that maybe someday I will have to sit down and write.
Grant is feeling just fine... just slightly annoyed that he must wear this brace for another week. Me, on the other hand... literally exhausted. This child has earned me every gray hair on my head that I must now go get re-highlighted every 8 weeks.
Anybody want to top that? I think in my former life, I must have coined the term "Parenting isn't for wimps"... and this boy would be the poster child.


23 comments:
Your poor Grant!!! You poor Mommy!!!! OHHH the books we moms could write!!! LOL
Remember one day he will have a child just like him!!!
Poor Grant! I'm glad he's okay. I'm so glad I can't top that story. ;0)
Kerri, Medina, and Ruby
Poor Grant!! I hope you are feeling better now! I am glad that you are OK and the worst thing is that you have to wear the neck brace!
Take it easy! And stop scareing your MOM!! :)
Shannon
Mom to jack and Palmer 3 yrs old
Ok - my heart sunk when I saw the picture. How absolutely horrible and scary for you!!!! I'm so glad Grant is ok - and Thank God for the passing motorist!!!
Poor Grant and poor Mommy!! I am so glad he's doing better!!
Robyn
Sarah ~ What a scare that must've been! I'm glad Grant is okay. A friend of mine always tells me its a good thing we didn't have boys because I would be crazy by now! They just make me so nervous...they are so much more active and daring! Sorry to hear about his dad...it really bothers me when people take their children for granted..some people just don't realize what a blessing they are.
Sophie is growing up so quickly!
I hope you all enjoy the last few days of summer!
Love, Christy (Hayley and Chloe's mommy)
I am so glad that Grant is OK -- please tell him to be careful!!!! (ha, ha, like you haven't tried that!)
So sorry that you've had all of this stress :(
Oh Sarah I am so sorry about that stress. Glad Grant is okay. At least we live in the age of highlights and hair dye!
OH Sarah, you must be so wiped out! And poor Grant - tell him I think he looks great rockin that neck brace! :)
And girl, I have a voo-doo doll....so just smile today - Grant's dad might endure some unexplainable pains of his own!
:) I know right where to stick it!
:)
Love you!
I am so glad he is ok. That must have been terrifying for mom and Grant!
What is the deal with boys? Why do they have to just try to put their poor mothers through these things?
I am so glad he is ok.
Hannah
I am so glad Grant is going to be fine. Praise God someone found him there.
Gail
How scary for you and Grant! I am so glad that he is ok.
Oh my gosh. I can't even imagine what you were feeling at this time. Thank goodness he is alright.
Our son is six and has been to the emergency room more times than I care to remember. These little guys are fearless and frightening!
Poor Grant...Sarah, you both are in my thoughts and prayers and I pray by now Grant is in recovery mode..Love, Marci
OH MY GOODNESS - GRAAAANT!!!!! None of us WANT to top that. Sheesh.
I am so thankful that he is doing well. His dad seems to be really missing out on a great kid. Boy, did you get the better end of the deal getting to spend everyday with that sweetheart of a boy, huh?
I tell my Alli that all of the time as her "father" hasn't spoken to her in YEARS.
Oh for Heaven Sake! I am so glad Grant is OK. That must have been the longest evening you have ever had. Or maybe not, if this kind of stuff happens a lot! My heart goes out to you and him. It is very hard for a child to grow up without love and support for their father. My Mother and Father divorced when I was 5. I think it is even harder for boys, it was on my brother.
Praise God, that Grant is doing better. Prayers are coming your way from NJ
Oh MY, how scary. I'm so glad to hear he is alright!!!
Oh Sarah!!!!!!!! I don't even know what to type. Frightening seems inadequate to describe what you both must have been feeling. Thank God he is okay. Thank GOD!!!!
I am so glad Grant is ok other than the annoyance of having to wear the neck brace. How terribly scarry that must have been for you as a mother. I am sorry Grant's father didn't make it to the hospital; it certainly will be his loss some day. I remember those days long ago because my oldest has a different father than my husband of 19 years and he often didn't get there when promised, was too busy, and the list goes on. It hurts those kids so down deep. I am sorry Grant had to experience that when he was sick.
Oh, Grant! It's good thing your so stinkin' cute and lovable!
Hang in there, Sarah.
Oh, my word, Sarah!!!
Goodness!
Life is never dull, it seems!
Praying he is well soon!
I'm soooo sorry for your big guy! I haven't logged on in about a week and wow! What a shock. Thank God that his spine is ok now. You earned that gray hair:O)
Post a Comment